Dear Readers

Fear not the Darkness, But What Lies Within, The recesses of our mind, The creepy cobwebbed corners,That lingers on and tickles us,With tingle feelings of alarm, The deep in the stomach, Pain we feel when we do warn, The fear is deadly it seeks, The deepest corner of our mind, It's just a story to alarm,Educate and provide entertainment for our minds. So read on dear reader, I hope you find the stories amusing and full of charm.






Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Three Word Wednesday - The Gravel Pits-Part 6

Three Word Wednesday - The Gravel Pits-Part 6


Entanglement, noun: The action or fact of entangling or being entangled; a complicated or compromising relationship or situation; an extensive barrier, typically made of interlaced barbed wire and stakes, erected to impede enemy soldiers or vehicles

Death, noun: The action or fact of dying or being killed; the end of the life of a person or organism.

Heartless, adjective: Displaying a complete lack of feeling or consideration.

If you missed Part 1 click here
If you missed Part 2 click here
If you missed Part 3 click here
If you missed Part 4 click here
If you missed Part 5 click here


                                        The Gravel Pits-Part 6




     This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are either products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental. All rights reserved. 



      Another girl was dead? How could this have happened? This girl had been only a year older than Kathleen and yet she had met her death. How had she gotten in such an entanglement Kathleen grew scared. This man that she thought so interesting; could he have kidnapped and murdered this girl? Had Kathleen escaped the same fate and this girl been snatched because she dressed like Kathleen? Had he followed her to the concert to kidnap Kathleen? Did he know where Kathleen lived? No, she’d met him at the Sulphur Springs. He couldn’t know where she lived or he’d also have known Karl wasn’t her brother. The sooner they caught this man the better. Should she go down to the police station and help them draw a composite picture of the man? She’d call Karl and ask him he’d know. She dialed but there was no answer.

   “Kathleen, put that phone down and hurry up we’ll be late for church. You’ll have to eat properly afterwards but here’s some oatmeal cookies,” Great-Aunt Frieda cried holding out the cookies.
   “I’m coming,” Kathleen answered putting on her shoes.

    When they arrived at church it was almost time to start so they quickly sat in their pew. When the service was over, Kathleen spotted Karl and Terri. Kathleen thought about her grounding and knew Great Aunt Frieda would frown on her speaking with them. Kathleen glanced at her great-aunt.

  “Go over there, you have ten minutes to speak with them while I speak to Reverend Clarke then we’re leaving,” Great-Aunt Frieda advised.
  “Did you hear the news?” Terri whispered as soon as she saw Kathleen.
  “You’re talking of that poor girl? Yes, I heard and it scared me,” Kathleen replied.
  “It should that could have been you,” Karl admonished.
  “Really Karl, don’t be such a dork, you're so heartless. Kathleen has to be scared and won’t do that again. Besides and it was partly that Tommy Gunderson’s fault,” Terri censored.
  “That guy’s a turd.”
  “Karl watch your language in church,” Karl’s mother, Rosa said walking over to him.
  “Sorry, Mom,” Karl commented.
  “Kathleen, Rosa and I haven’t been able to speak with Reverend Clarke or Elsa Brimmer about the upcoming bake sale so I’m going to be a little longer. Why don’t you wait for me outside and take your conversation outside. Just don’t go anywhere, or speak to anyone else.”
  “Thank you Great-Aunt Frieda,” Kathleen said, “And don’t worry I’ll be safe.”
  “I’m not Karl will be with you and he’s a good boy.”

Kathleen hurried outside before her great aunt changed her mind.

Karl yawned.

  “Do we bore you Karl?” Terri asked.
  “You know dad had me down at the station in the middle of night doing a composite of this guy. I’m tired,” Karl complained.
  “Sorry Karl. I’m just glad Dad didn't wake me up.”
  “So if they sent out the composite. They should catch this guy soon right?” Kathleen asked.
  “Dad didn’t want me to tell you girls, but they think this guy is a serial killer. He thought you’d be scared, but I think you being scared is a good idea. Then you know to be careful.  Some girls have been taken in the area over the past three years and he fits the pattern,” Karl admitted.
  “That girl last year in London?” Kathleen asked.
  “No, she doesn’t fit his pattern,” Karl answered.
  “I’m scared Karl. He knows we know what he looks like what if he comes after us?” Terri asked.
  “He won’t but if he did I knife him. See I have my old bowie knife strapped to my left leg,” Karl answered pulling his pant leg up long enough to show them and then quickly putting it down lest anyone else see.
  “After church you're coming to our house?” Terri asked.
  “Huh, I’m lucky I can still speak to you. Great-Aunt Frieda grounded me for a week,” Kathleen explained.
  “Kathleen, since you are grounded for the week I’ve volunteered your services for the bake sale. You can help bake and set up the sale with us,” Great-Aunt Frieda said walking out of the church and over to Kathleen.
  “It’s a hundred degrees out,” commented Kathleen.
  “And the church needs some help, which we are very happy to give, because we are thankful,” admonished Great-Aunt Frieda.
 “Fine. See you in about a week Karl and Terri.”
 “Actually I think you’ll see Terri sooner. Rosa generously offered Terri’s services too.  Terri will be over later this afternoon to help us bake.” Great-Aunt Frieda, Then the two of you will go over and get the church set up on Tuesday for the bake sale Tuesday evening.

   Terri actually looked happy and Kathleen thought even though it was hot, this punishment wasn’t that bad she could spend time with her best friend, Terri. When her punishment had ended she looked forward to going to the gravel pits with Terri and Karl again.

©Sheilagh Lee  August 27, 2014 
to be continued.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the gravel pits again if I was her. Still, it's a nice punishment. She's basically kept where she'll be safest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's young and she wants to swim. And yes Great-Aunt Frieda is trying to keep her safe. thank you for reading Alice Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembering back to when I was a teenager I must admit we ran pretty free and my parents didn't really know where I was and who with. The woods and the heaths and the ponds were our territory as was the railway tracks. Clearly it was much safer then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my parents were stricter because my older sisters did just that. They never did anything really wrong just scared my parents, so my parents decided firmer was due with me even though I was a totally different personality and fortunately for them a goody two shoes.Thank you for reading oldegg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No! Don't go back...I sense she is building up a little bunch of mystery solvers and helpers though...always helps in life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes Kathleen isn't thinking clearly or she realize she could run into him there

    ReplyDelete